Sunday, May 16, 2010

Blog the Second

So I'm Sarah. Kara has already introduced me (that's my face up there, on the right), and as interesting as she claims I am, right now I'm just a hostess at a fancy restaurant I'm not allowed to mention by name (no seriously, I signed a piece of paper and everything). (Expect many parentheticals. I like them.) I went back to hosting because after a few years of trying to save the world and take care of everyone in it, I was burnt out. Now I just worry about when the Romero party will be joining us.

Santa Fe is definitely my home. Most Santa Feans my age will tell you our relationship with the city is complicated - it's beautiful, and cultured, and a total small-town feeling backwater. Oh sure, it's nice for the Albuquerque kids to come visit, with its temperatures in habitable range and everything, but living here means you get hit with the high cost of living, tourists all up in your grill half the year, etc. Still, it's hard to imagine anywhere else. I went to college in New York, a short train ride from the city, and I can't believe I'm going back. For years, I've said I would never live in New York - too expensive, too difficult, no interest in being poor there - and now I'm returning to live on a grad student's budget! In Queens! I hope this isn't a sign of things to come and my attitudes about ever becoming a teacher.

Meeting Kara was not in my plan. It's cliche, but last summer I was getting over a broken heart, and part of that was doing every social activity thrown my way - including a trip to lake where I met a blond smart-ass who interested me. And, well, here we are - a few adventures and lost passports later, and we're doing pretty okay. There have been lots of things I didn't expect, and I can only look forward to whatever I don't expect next!

No comments:

Post a Comment